spikesgirl58 (spikesgirl58) wrote,

Day 16 – Hale Ohia

Didn’t sleep terribly well last night, mostly because TBG left the window open about six inches and the place was freezing. The bedspread ended up on the floor where it did no good at all at keeping us warm. Finally I got TBG to get up and start the fireplace. It was toasty warm by six a.m. when I finally decided enough was enough and got up.

It was nice to wake up hearing the various birds calling to each other. Breakfast comes with the room and it’s always yummy. There are papaya and bananas, along with freshly made loaves of bread, a different one every day, juice and coffee. When we were younger, this would hold us until we could find a real breakfast. Now it does just fine for both of us.

We walked a little bit and waited for Jeff to surface. He got up at seven, put his eye drops in and then promptly fell back to sleep. That’s what the day was for. It was overcast and a sort of sleepy day.

The first stop of the day was the volcano. He was fascinated by it, but was not inclined to go on any hikes, despite TBG’s best efforts. We went to Volcano House and looked around, then to the Jagger Museum where he learned more about the volcano.

Kilauea has been erupting since 1983, but most of the activety is along the rift zone at Pu’u O’o. Then in 2010 (I think), the fire pit (Halemau’mau) began to erupt again. It’s been erupting ever since. Sadly, that has meant that the fire pit overlook had to be closed because of the sulfur dioxide in the fumes, along with the road that circles the far side of the crater and the crater trails. Gone are the days when you could get up close and personal with Madame Pele.

Pele was originally a Tahitian gods and was brought here as an egg by Tane (Kane now), the father of all gods. She was hatched in a volcano on Kauai, but could not dig a fire pit deep enough to sustain her growth. Her sister, Nā-maka-o-Kahaʻi, was a sea goddess and was jealous of Pele’s power, so she constantly thwarted Pele’s attempt’s to go deeper. Frustrated, Pele moved from Kauai to Oahu, then Maui and finally on the Big Island, she found a spot where she could dig and grow more powerful.

We also took a drive through the military R&R camp and tried to get stamps at their post office (not open on Saturday) and checked out the PX.

The morning spent, we headed in to Volcano for breakfast at Lava Rock Café. Before that, though, we stopped at the post office and the window had just closed… just closed. She was nice enough to re-open and sell me stamps for my postcards, so those are happily on their way. Then we stopped at Ohelo to make reservations for dinner and finally lunch! While the guys got a table, I went into Kilauea Kreations to buy a new hoop. Mine had snapped on the plane. Surprise! They sell all sorts of quilting supplies, but not hoops. I got directions to their Hilo store and it was decided we’d pop down there after lunch.

Lunch were burgers for TBG and myself, while Jeff had an ahi salad. He eats a lot of salad I am learning. While we were waiting, they went to the country story out front and I read some of the local magazines. It made me sad to think there is no longer a Hilo Hattie’s in Hilo. Their store was closed up tight. I was left wondering if the one in Kona is still open.

Thus sustained, we headed down the hill to Hilo. Our first stop was Big Island Candies. That place should be outlawed! It was so yummy and they give out free samples of everything. TBG bought some of his favorite cookies/candies and I got a package of biscotti for Barb.

Then it was on to the quilting store, where we did indeed find a hoop, after a fashion. The one I ended up with was bigger than I wanted, but it will work. We talked at length with the woman working there. She was impressed that I still did hand stitching. Most of them have moved to machine quilting.

Afterwards, we gave Jeff the cook’s tour of Hilo, along Banyan Drive, where they have opened a shiny now Hilton Hotel. I was impressed. That’s the first new hotel for Hilo in three decades. They tore down the Nani Lau and the fire damaged hotel beside it and replaced it with that one. We tried to get into Rainbow Falls, but it was totally packed. There was a cruise ship in and everyone and their uncle had come to Rainbow.

We headed back up the hill and that’s when we ran into Kamapu’u A’a – the rain god and Pele’s lover. It was sprinkling, but the rain got harder and harder as we moved up the mountain. It was nice to get back to the B&B and relax. We had invited Michael to dinner, so he invited us over for a drink. That was fun to see the new building and his apartment. It is quite large and very cozy.

Dinner at Ohelo proved to be quite the adventure. They were packed and while it took the waitress a bit to find us, after that everything went in smooth order. We started with baked cauliflower, then TBG and I had a bowl of ahi chowder (tres yum). Michael had a burger, TBG ribs (and lots of them) while Jeff and I split a rack of lamb (and thank the stars we did – it was huge!).

By the time we left, it had stopped raining and the fog had moved it. It was very dense, but since we had less than a mile to drive, it wasn’t too bad. It was a lovely day spent on the rainy side of the island.

Tags: food, friends, hawaii, pele
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.