Title: Not Just Another Day at the Beach Genre: Sapphire & Steel Rating: PG Word count: 830 Prompt: Day 20 - If you could go on only one more vacation in your lifetime, where would you go and why? evil_little_dog, I hope you enjoy your story - my thanks to you and to my trusty beta, sparky955. These are not posted in any particular order. Sapphire tilted her face to the warmth of the sun and smiled. It was temperate enough so that the heat was pleasant on her skin. A soft wind plucked at the ends of her hair and the drone of the insects made her want to lie down and roll in the long grass. Achoo! She looked over her shoulder at her companion and repressed a grin. “I never imagined you would be one for allergies, Steel.” “I’m not for them. In fact, I’m very much against them.” He sneezed again and blew his nose in his handkerchief. “Sapphire, why are we here?” “A vacation.” She continued upon her path and stepped onto the beach. She longed to leave the boardwalk and run through the sand, but it looked loosely packed and would make walking awkward. She inhaled deeply and closed her eyes in contentment. “Smell that sea air, Steel.” “Right now, I would like to smell anything.” He blew his nose again and then shielded his eyes against the sun’s glare. “It’s very warm.” “You’re wearing a suit.” Her eyes flashed a bright blue and suddenly he was bedecked in a pair of suit trunks and a beach jacket. He shivered as the wind hit his skin. “There! Now you are suitably attired.” Likewise, her outfit changed and she was no longer in a light flowing dress but a bikini and a beach cover-up that covered very little. “Sapphire!” “Steel.” She stepped off the boardwalk and started across the beach to the ocean. When she reached an appropriate spot, she spread out a very large towel and sat down. “Come and join me in the sun.” She patted the spot beside her. “I’m feeling very exposed.” Steel glanced to his left and right, but there was no one in view. Still he followed, carrying an assortment of items in his arms. “I knew I should have asked more questions.” “Steel, the whole point about a vacation is to not ask questions. It’s just to be, to let Mother Nature soothe and heal all woes.” “My woes have nothing to do with Nature, Mother or otherwise.” He set his armful down and Sapphire began to sift through the items. She handed him a large beach umbrella. “Would you get so kind as to put this up?” “You come for the sun and immediately put up something for shade.” He shook his head, but did as she asked. While he tended to that, she pulled the picnic basket closer. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched her. He didn’t broadcast it, but Sapphire was a very good cook. “I’m glad you think so.” She beamed at him and handed him a paper cup. “Here, drink this.” He sniffed. “What is it?” “It’s called sangria. It supposed to be very refreshing.” She sipped it and nodded. “It’s very tasty.” Steel eyed it for a moment longer and then drank, draining the cup quickly. “Thank you.” She refilled it and he finished that one as well. “I think you are supposed to sip it,” she said by way of suggesting. He nodded and held out the cup. Four cups later and Steel sprawled out on his stomach. “So what do we do now?” “Relax. You can read or swim—“ “I don’t do well in water. Because of my molecular weight, I tend to sink.” “And rust,” she said and giggled. “I beg your pardon. I have never rusted in my life.” But he smiled back. “I’m stainless steel.” Sapphire laughed again. “I think there is something to this sangria. Then you can nap or we can simply talk.” “About what? Boredom?” “Aren’t you the least bit relaxed?” “Not at all.” “Steel, you are impossible. I did this for you. I thought you’d like to get away for a bit. Leave the other agents and Them behind. Here it’s just us, the sand, the sea and the—“ “Sangria.” Steel half rolled and poured a bit more for himself. “That, as well.” “This isn’t my idea of a vacation, I suppose. We didn’t do vacations when I was young. My parents were homebodies and that’s my experience. The travel we do for our assignments is enough for me.” “If you could go on only one more vacation in your lifetime, where would you go and why?” Steel sat up and regarded her seriously, well as seriously as he could muster. He was feeling just a bit light headed. “You already know the answer to that, Sapphire.” She looked up from plating some chicken and frowned. “I do.” Steel leaned forward and kissed her gently on her cheek. “Anywhere you want and why is because you are there. You are my vacation, Sapphire. I could want nothing else.” The chicken was forgotten as she rested her head against his shoulder. “Thank you, Steel.” “No, Sapphire, thank you.” Then she sighed. “ They are looking for us.” Steel kissed her cheek again. “Let them look. We’re relaxing.”