Title - Shopping Cart Blues Genre - Man from UNCLE - Mouth of Babes series Rating - G Word count - 897 Prompt - Pick a letter of the alphabet. Now imagine two aisles of your local supermarket. List everything found in those two aisles that begin with that letter of the alphabet - C My double dipping thanks to sparky955, who not only asked, but then had to beta her own gift. The only good thing about a shopping cart was that it gave Illya a chance to take some of the weight off his hip. He trailed behind his daughter and tried to keep the older grandchildren in sight. “Okay, this is it. The moment of truth,” Lisle said, taking a deep breath. “I’m about to go down Aisle 5 What’s Aisle 5?” Illya looked down at the Helpful Hints directory on his cart. “Treasure!” Alex shouted and took off with his sister close behind. Peter started to climb from the cart, but a firm “NO, Peter” from Illya made him plop back down, pouting. “Cereal, candy, and cookies,” Lisle said, with a bit of a defeated tone. “And capers and cornichons, too. The only thing they don’t have on this aisle is Coke.” “All in one spot?” The aisle didn’t seem as wide as the others and he glanced up to see the twins pulling packages from the shelf. “Stop it.” They blissfully ignored him as Peter attempted to tear open a package of cookies. “Gookies!” he sang and Inessa nodded in rapt agreement. Illya deftly pulled it out of his hands before the packet tore. “Your mother doesn’t want you to have those.” Peter began to wail and Inessa, always anxious to show her support, joined in. “Enough,” he orders and both toddlers looked at him with confused expressions. “I’m guessing that tactic works on their other grandfather.” “Now you know why he didn’t want to come with us. I’m surprised we don’t have to have insulin shots just to go down it.” Lisle sighed. “I suppose having them all in one spot makes sense. “Can’t we please get this?” Alex raced up to her, holding up a brightly-decorated box. “Please, please, please?” “Not if the first ingredient is sugar. You all have more energy than you need as it is.” “But that’s what makes it yummy and there’s a record on the back.” He tried again, then his shoulders drooped in defeat. “Mommy, would this look lovely on me?” Irina posed with a ring, its center stone a large chunk of candy.” “Less lovely than you will ever know. Put it back, please.” “But, Mommy--” “Don’t argue,” Illya snapped and his eldest granddaughter looked at him as if she’d lost her best friend. “But, Poppy,” Alex tried and Illya shook his head. “All right, the car, both of you.” He looked over at his daughter. “I will let you finish this up in peace. She kissed his cheek and watched as he herded the two older children past her. “Dad, you are my hero.” “Remind me of that in half an hour.” Without her children, shopping was a breeze and Lisle was amazed at how much she enjoyed the process. She actually lingered on the bath aisle for a long moment before selecting some bubble bath for the kids and then some for her as well. She also bought some Epsom salts, knowing full well what a physical toll this would take on her father. Reluctantly, she got into the check out line. The cashier started to grab items and Lisle daydreamed as the items were rung up. Suddenly, she realized she was being addressed. “I’m sorry?” “I thought you looked lost in thought. I said, where are your little ones, today, Mrs. Solo?” “Huh? Oh, my dad has them waiting in the car. I suspect by now he’s ready to shoot them to the moon.” She sighed. “I love my children, but there are times...” “Price check!” The cashier peeled a sticker from the bottom of a can and winked at her. A young man ran up, grabbed the can and was gone. Lisle started to shout out directions, but the cashier shushed her. “He needs the practice.” “Thank you.” “Now tell me about that handsome father-in-law of yours…” Lisle felt a pang of guilt as she pushed the very loaded cart out into the parking lot. Their car wasn’t far away and soon she would be bombarded by angry shouts and demands. She drew closer to the vehicle and then paused. She half expected it to be rocking back and forth, but all the children were in their car seats and sitting quietly. As she approached, she could hear classical music playing on the radio. She rapped softly upon the window and Illya’s head turned in her direction. Quietly, as to not disturb anyone, he eased out of the car and opened the trunk. “I take it that the shopping was successful.” “It was. I have to admit that I’m amazed that they are all behaving. Did you drug them?” “No, it might just be that I am an exceptional baby sitter.” “That’s possible.” “Or that I appealed to their better nature.” “They have one?” “Or that I promised them all BMWs if they would just shut up.” Lisle smiled at that and kissed his cheek. “You’re a good grandfather.” “And broke. I got waylaid by the gum machines.” Lisle nodded in agreement. “I usually go out the other door to avoid them unless I have several quarters in my purse.” Illya closed the trunk with a quiet thump and nodded. “And to think once I was feared on five continents. How the mighty have fallen.” She kissed his cheek. “Not fallen. I prefer to think of it as rewarded. Let’s go home.”