Title: Unlock My Heart Genre: Sapphire & Steel Rating: PG Word Count: 1027 Prompt: You wake up with a key gripped tightly in your hand. How did you get this key? What does it lock or unlock?
dimity_blue, I hope you have fun with this. It certainly was a challenge for me. Thanks to you and to sparky955!
Sapphire stirred in her sleep and then woke, immediately awake and aware of her surroundings. She was lying on a soft blanket in the middle of a field. The grass swayed in the wind and birds chirped happily as they went about their business.
Instantly, Sapphire’s mind began to race. A moment ago, she was in a prison with Steel, trapped inside a room with no escape. How did she get here and where was Steel?
One hand went out automatically to smooth the material she was resting on. It had a pleasant star field on it and then she became aware of her other hand. It was clenching a key so hard that it had left an imprint in her skin.
She studied it, probing it to its molecules but it was exactly what it appeared, a key.
“But a key to what?” she asked. She didn’t expect an answer, though she longed to hear Steel’s didactic response of, “Why, a lock, of course. What else would you use it for?” Even with him not there, she heard the words in her head.
Sapphire stood and the world canted just a bit. She took a deep breath and blew it out slowly. The dizziness left after a moment. Even so, standing, all she could see were green fields, bobbing flowers and a nearby brook.
Still clutching the key, she walked towards the brook. This was the farthest she’d been able to walk in seemingly years. It was hard to mark time in their cell. Not requiring sustenance to survive, for them, it was a prison without end. By the time she arrived at the creek, she was slightly winded.
Carefully, as to not lose her balance and with her free hand, she holding onto tall grass to slow her descent, she slid down the dirt embankment to the water as it gurgled and tumbled past her. It was cool and wet on her fingertips and she smiled at the sensation. She brought them to her lips and wet them. For a moment, she longed to strip and abandon herself to the water, but the key dug into her palm.
“Where are you, Steel?”
Her attention was pulled to a small paddlewheel. It spun happily as the water rushed by and in its wake, the water sparkled as it reflected the sun, reflections that looked very much like stars.
“Why am I here and not you?”
In the distance, she could hear voices shouting and singing. It was as if she was being asked to make a choice - freedom without Steel or an eternity trapped with him. Like that was a choice she would make. Her place was with him, no matter where that was.
The key was growing warm now, almost hot. Still, she refused to release it, even when it began to blister her palm. It felt as if it forged by the heat of the sun itself.
She cried and fell to the ground, desperate to plunge her hand into the water or to let the key tumble to the ground. Somehow, she knew she couldn’t. She curled up into a ball and felt her face grow wet from her tears.
Gradually, she realized her hand no longer hurt, but she didn’t dare look, lest the sight of what was left of her hand make her scream.
She shuddered and that’s when she felt gentle fingers on her face.
“Sapphire, are you all right?”
At the sound of Steel’s voice, she opened her eyes. He was bending over her, obviously concerned. Past him she saw the familiar sight of the diner in which they were trapped and part of her mourned the loss of her field while another rejoiced.
She tried to move, but her limbs didn’t want to obey. Instantly, Steel was there to help her. “I had the oddest dream.”
“I didn’t think Elements dreamt… or slept.” Steel settled her back against him and she leaned into his embrace.
“I didn’t either, but I was in a large field. There were flowers and birds and a river. I could hear people. I think they were picnicking just over the ridge. The sun was shining and it was warm.”
Steel stroked her hair gently. “It sounds like a lovely dream.”
“It wasn’t. You weren’t there.” Her expression grew sad. “I looked for you and called out for you, but it was just me.” Then her eyes widened and she looked down at her hand. It was still there. “And this.” She held out her hand to him.
“A key?” He took it from her, then kissed the impression it left in her skin. “You’re burned.”
“It grew hot, but I knew I couldn’t let go. Then I was back here with you.” She fell back against him and smiled.
“Hardly a fair exchange,” Steel murmured into her neck and hair.
She turned and shook her head. “Not at all. I knew that freedom, no matter how attractive the package would be just another prison without you. It was as if my mettle was being tested.”
“Metal?”
“M-e-t-t-l-e, it’s a noun and it means an individual's ability to cope with difficulties and be able to face a demanding situation in a spirited and resilient way.”
“Oh, I see.” That seemed to satisfy her partner. He examined the key closely. “Now what lock would fit this key?”
“I can think of only one lock here to try it in and that would be the one to our cell door.”
“It could also mean our demise, removing us from the protective cocoon to the harsh element of space.”
“I’m willing to risk it if you are. No existence would be better than the one we have now.”
“Then in a spirited and resilient way, let us try.” He walked to the front door of the café and inserted the key into the keyhole there. “Together?” He held out his hand and she took it.
“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”
He turned the key, there was an explosion of light and the diner stood silent and empty, ready for the next set of prisoners.