The beginning of the end...
It has been a long time since The Boy left home. He headed off for university in '98, but it was only to San Francsico. Then suddenly he had a Fullbright to Boston University for his Masters and then it was on to New York City to work as an apprentice to a Broadway designer. After that, he spent time in Japan, learning more about his own theatrical culture and design, before coming back to NYC. It was ten years before he called to tell me he was accepting a job in San Francisco. I was thrilled and mistakenly thought he was home for good... sigh. I should have known better.
Yesterday he paid us a visit, I think to see us, but I also think to soften the blow when he told us their place had sold and that he and J were headed to Australia for good. J is from Melbourne and he has aging parents, so he wants to be there for them. he's a good son and he's invited us to visit. We can always go and visit (once we get through this CV nonsense). This time, though, it just feels so far away...
At least they got above asking price for their place and we will be seeing them more in the next couple of months, but April suddenly doesn't seem all that far away.
Sigh...
Yesterday he paid us a visit, I think to see us, but I also think to soften the blow when he told us their place had sold and that he and J were headed to Australia for good. J is from Melbourne and he has aging parents, so he wants to be there for them. he's a good son and he's invited us to visit. We can always go and visit (once we get through this CV nonsense). This time, though, it just feels so far away...
At least they got above asking price for their place and we will be seeing them more in the next couple of months, but April suddenly doesn't seem all that far away.
Sigh...