Our last day in Luxor and it was brutal. The excursion was marked as strenuous and that didn’t cover it. Got up at 5 for a fast shower before breakfast (the cabin has an incredible shower). It was super early because our excursion started at 7:45. We were on the bus and on the road by 8 a.m. First stop was Valley of the Kings. There we had the chance to explore some tombs on our own, along with that of King Tut and Ramses 3 as a group. After hearing about the tomb for so long, I was surprised at how small it actually was. When you consider all the treasure they took from it, it’s even more amazing. Tut’s mummy lies in state there and it was something to see it with our own eyes. After exploring the other tomb, we were given time on our own to do what we wanted. I headed back to the bus as it was a long walk in and it was getting warm. Next we were off the Howard Carter’s house at the entrance to the Valley. It was no great shakes, but like everything here, you could handle and touch anything. Then it was off to my favorite Pharaoh, Hatshepsut. She was permitted to be buried in the Valley of the Kings, but her temple is outside it. Much of it was defaced by her stepson/half-brother, Thutmost III. He was pissed that he had been denied his rightful rule and made it his mission to remove Hatshepsut’s name from history. Thankfully, he failed, but he destroyed a beautiful temple in his zeal. It was another long walk in and out and I was beginning to feel the burn, if you know what I mean. However, last was the temple of Queen Nefertari’s Ramses II beloved wife. Our guide said that he left the best for last because after this, all temples would pale by comparison. He was right. It was incredible. The color were as bright as the day they were painted and the artwork was beautiful. I told my guide that I had thought to pass on this and he said he would have carried me himself just so that I could see it. It was pretty darn cool. Back on the bus, we figured that we walked between four and five miles, mostly over sand and stone, in the sun, in three hours. That included a lot of stairs and ramps. Not bad considering walking the length of a grocery store was hard for me a few weeks ago. This is not to say that I didn’t come out unscathed. I’m feeling pretty burned out at the moment and I think that I might sit out the temple tomorrow. It’s either that or walking the village, which also doesn’t appeal. I might just lay low because the next day is Abu Simbal and I am not missing that. Finally, we got back to the ship and cast off – finally we are sailing for really the first time since we got on board. Lunch was less than exciting – we both had cheeseburgers. It tasted great, though. Crawled back to the cabin and collapsed on the bed. I dozed for a little bit until a passing ship decided to bless us with his horn. Sigh… For some reason, I was very restless this afternoon, which I attributed to too much sun. I’m not really in love with this go-go-go attitude of Viking. Think that I’m more of an ocean-faring girl. I like to do stuff, but prefer it on my schedule. Dinner was very good, but I really lacked much appetite. We had the soup, mushroom, very good, and sautéed prawns over risotto. There was tiramisu for dessert, but I passed. All I wanted to do was crash. But wait there are whirling dervishes up in the lounge and guess where they are dancing? Yup, right above our heads… I just dropped off and then TBG had a massive indigestion attack (it makes him cough like crazy). That’s four for four. Not good. He’s so tired that he comes right to bed as opposed to home where he will walk and then watch some TV or work on the computer. I am looking forward to a day on the ship. There is a short excursion to a Greek temple, but I’m going to pass. We have to go through the market and that will be a hassle. Plus I’m not in the market for what they are selling. The rest of the day is spent sailing to Aswan. Yay!