Brisbane Day 14 – Kiriwina… sort of
Woke up to rain – we are heading into the rainy season here with a vengeance. Today we are at the tiny island of Kiriwina.
According to Wikipedia:
Kiriwina is the largest of the Trobriand Islands, with an area of 290.5 km². It is part of the Milne Bay Province of Papua New Guinea. Most of the 12,000 people who live in the Trobriands live on Kiriwina. The Kilivila language, also known as Kiriwina, is spoken on the island. The main town is Losuia.
Its other claim to fame was that 30 people were killed here last year in tribal warfare. Nothing else is known about what started the war or even who was killed. This is very much an island onto itself as our efforts to tender in proved.
I had decided to stay on the ship. I’m sure Losuia is lovely, but there are no shops, no facilities, no restaurants, nothing to see but village life and lovely beaches. This would be nice if the weather was sunny, but squall after squall is coming through. Even though they unloaded the tenders, it’s too rough to put passengers on it and then they couldn’t get off at the other end because of the swells. It’s a bit of a shame because they are loading and unloading under our balcony and I was looking forward to watching them. Oh, well, better people not get hurt.
The Captain is still hopefully that things will settle down. The sea is like glass now, but he has to look ahead to make sure we can get people back onto the ship. So, I’m sitting in the cabin, listening to Hawaiian music and the rain and waiting for TBG to return. I could think of worse fates.
The rest of the day was spent at sea. It cleared up in the afternoon, but the sea was rocky. The Captain made a good choice, although the crew had to scramble to find things for the passengers to do. They didn’t have to worry about us. We managed to entertain ourselves just fine.
Last night was another dinner at Sabatini’s and it was very good. They had a second Chef’s Table going on the other end of the restaurant and while we had a good time, I wouldn’t want to do it again. We started with the same soup and appetizer on the first night, then I had the porcini mushroom risotto (not quite as good as the one we had at Chef’s table, but still plenty tasty and then I had eggplant parmesan which was delicious. TBG decided to push the envelope and the chef made him a special dish, Prawn with lemon over pasta, and the Chef really delivered. It was fabulous. We passed on dessert this time and headed back to the cabin.
Our laundry had arrived and so I put that away – it’s so easy because the tops all come on hangers and the underwear is all neatly folded. Sigh… We are putting out last batch in today before we start repacking things.
After that, we watched some TV and had a nice relaxing evening. Yeah, I’m so hating this – not! :P
According to Wikipedia:
Kiriwina is the largest of the Trobriand Islands, with an area of 290.5 km². It is part of the Milne Bay Province of Papua New Guinea. Most of the 12,000 people who live in the Trobriands live on Kiriwina. The Kilivila language, also known as Kiriwina, is spoken on the island. The main town is Losuia.
Its other claim to fame was that 30 people were killed here last year in tribal warfare. Nothing else is known about what started the war or even who was killed. This is very much an island onto itself as our efforts to tender in proved.
I had decided to stay on the ship. I’m sure Losuia is lovely, but there are no shops, no facilities, no restaurants, nothing to see but village life and lovely beaches. This would be nice if the weather was sunny, but squall after squall is coming through. Even though they unloaded the tenders, it’s too rough to put passengers on it and then they couldn’t get off at the other end because of the swells. It’s a bit of a shame because they are loading and unloading under our balcony and I was looking forward to watching them. Oh, well, better people not get hurt.
The Captain is still hopefully that things will settle down. The sea is like glass now, but he has to look ahead to make sure we can get people back onto the ship. So, I’m sitting in the cabin, listening to Hawaiian music and the rain and waiting for TBG to return. I could think of worse fates.
The rest of the day was spent at sea. It cleared up in the afternoon, but the sea was rocky. The Captain made a good choice, although the crew had to scramble to find things for the passengers to do. They didn’t have to worry about us. We managed to entertain ourselves just fine.
Last night was another dinner at Sabatini’s and it was very good. They had a second Chef’s Table going on the other end of the restaurant and while we had a good time, I wouldn’t want to do it again. We started with the same soup and appetizer on the first night, then I had the porcini mushroom risotto (not quite as good as the one we had at Chef’s table, but still plenty tasty and then I had eggplant parmesan which was delicious. TBG decided to push the envelope and the chef made him a special dish, Prawn with lemon over pasta, and the Chef really delivered. It was fabulous. We passed on dessert this time and headed back to the cabin.
Our laundry had arrived and so I put that away – it’s so easy because the tops all come on hangers and the underwear is all neatly folded. Sigh… We are putting out last batch in today before we start repacking things.
After that, we watched some TV and had a nice relaxing evening. Yeah, I’m so hating this – not! :P